|Title:||Power Systems Engineer Internship|
|Department:||Power Systems Consulting|
Supporting engineering studies on wind plants and utility power systems.
Education And Experience
Any experience level is considered. An applicant with an advanced degree (Masters or PhD) will work on more challenging tasks and will have more responsibilities than an applicant with a BSEE degree. The minimum duration of an Internship at EnerNex is three months; the maximum duration is six months.
- Knowledge of conducting simulations and analytical studies of electric power systems including harmonic, transient, stability, and load flow analysis desirable
- Knowledge of a power system simulation tool such as EMTP-RV, ATP, DIgSILENT, PSCAD/EMTDC, PSS/E, GE PSLF, Simulink for Power Systems, ETAP, Cape, OpenDSS, SuperHarm, etc. desirable
- Good communications and report-writing skills in English required
- Working knowledge in a high-level programming language (Matlab, VBA, Python, Java, C++, etc.) desirable
- Working knowledge of data analysis techniques desirable
- History of conference/journal publications desirable
- Experience with power electronics desirable.
Duties And Responsibilities
Project tasks and responsibilities will be selected based on the level of experience. For instance, a candidate with a BSEE degree will likely work on closely-supervised tasks that will advance his/her knowledge on how to use simulation and data analysis tools while a candidate who has (or is working towards) and advanced degree is expected to work on challenging projects with limited supervision. Tasks an Intern at EnerNex can expect to work on are listed below:
- Perform power system studies on wind plants and utility systems including harmonic analysis, transient analysis, temporary overvoltage/overcurrent analysis, ground fault settings, arc flash studies, short circuit studies, and protective device coordination.
- Perform data analysis related to bulk transmission, distributed generation, and power quality studies.
- Write engineering reports that document study results.
- Develop software tools to assist in power system studies and data analysis tasks.
- Perform routine work to meet project/task requirements.